Tuesday, December 13, 2005

getting in to the spirit

I've had a hard time getting in to the Christmas spirit this year. Maybe it was coming back from New York and heading right back to work. Maybe it's the fact that I still have lots of shopping to do. In general, even though I spent last weekend singing my first Messiah, and am now in full-swing carolling mode, it just didn't feel like Christmas. Until yesterday.

My piano students are having their semi-annual recital on Sunday. For the first time in 6 years, I've had to worry about a place to hold it, and with my trip to New York, it got put off until the last minute. I was looking in to churches and small halls in the area, all of which are booked the Sunday afternoon before Christmas, of course. Then one of the parents had a brilliant idea, and even called and set it all up for me. I can't believe I never thought of this before. The recital is going to be at a retirement home. My kids are excited about performing for people other than their parents. The parents (and I) think it's a great gift to give people who don't have anywhere to go for the holidays, and the home is thrilled to have us. They are handling setting everything up, and providing lemonade and cookies for the kids afterward.

.... and suddenly, it feels like Christmas!

5 comments:

ACB said...

OMG, how sweet! What a wonderful idea. Everyone involved with benefit and enjoy it!

Yea! Christmas spirit!

Anonymous said...

This is an absolutely fabulous idea! Wonderful!

Gia-Gina said...

this will be a great recital and the oolder folks will really enjoy the kids and thei music. Brava a really wonderful idea.

Lane said...

Reading your blog is such a "feel-good" experience!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! It's like the children give the gift of their music and the older folks give the gift of their time, listening, appreciation and the use of their space.

They're all very lucky to have you for their teacher and friend!