Monday, August 8, 2005

my new studio

In our old house, there was a large dining room, with space for a table for 8, the piano, and all my cds and scores. Our new condo has a dining area which is about 6'x6' -- hardly big enough for a small table for 4, and certainly not big enough for the piano! Luckily, there is an extra bedroom, which I have now set up as my studio. It's bright and sunny, with a west-facing window and a nice, big Madrona tree ouside that blocks the view of the grocery store next door. I painted the walls a beautiful, buttery yellow, and even got a big new bookshelf which holds all my scores and music-related books. Today, the piano movers brought my piano (a bit of a nightmare move, as they forgot to bring a furniture dolly with them, but that's a story for another time!), and it fits perfectly against one of the walls. So, now I have my own space, with all the materials I might need to practice or work, and there's even a closet where I can hang my performance clothes and keep my filing cabinet. There are still several boxes waiting to be unpacked, and I haven't set up my desk yet, but I can already tell that it's going to change the way I work. The room is a lovely place to be, and I will look forward to retreating there every day. It's very easy to focus when I can close the door behind me and be in my own little world. It's a real luxury, especially in a smaller home like ours, to be able to have a space which I can decorate however I want and fill with things which will inspire and aid me in my work everyday, and I'm very thankful.

3 comments:

Lane said...

It sounds wonderful! I can't wait for the housewarming.

Gia-Gina said...

I missed another chance to help you move!! Hope it all went well, we are still living with boxes around the living room and bedroom but that's because we have too much crap.

Pliable said...

Melissa, thanks for your link to On An Overgrown Path . I will reciprocate tomorrow with a link pointing at your fine blog. Sorry to communicate via your comments but I couldn't find an email address.

I should have another Bernstein post next week about his Peter Pan incidental music, plus a link to yet another bright lady blogger in Seattle - it seems to be catching!

Keep up the good work.

Pliable